January 16, 2008

The weather is breaking !!!!!!

Well the weather broke today and I saw a few -6 degree temperatures. It really makes a difference. Things work and it is nicer to be outside. Things still freeze like you wouldn't expect because the weather feels so nice. Right now it is 10 below which actually feels pretty good. No hat or gloves needed going in and out of the car. I just looked at the weather report and it said that the high on Saturday will be 21 degrees above zero. I bet we have nicer weather up here than you do in Racine. Here is a picture of 48 below from the other day

Here is the famous outhouse. It has a light in it that helps with keeping it a little warmer when it is 48 below....


I think I have shaken my cold/flu. I keep feeling a little better each day. I went into Fairbanks today to see the Ice Museum. unfortunately it is closed in the winter.

This a statue commemorating the Eskimo/Inuit people who are the native people of this land.

This is downtown Fairbanks.
I went to the Fairbanks historical museum and the dog musher museum which are both in the same building. Both museums are connected and very rustic. The museums told the story of a great flood in Fairbanks in 1968, and the history of dog mushing. Mostly pictures but some small exhibits as well.
The Dog Mushing Museum.
I also took a picture of the daily news miner building where the web cam is. I took the picture from the opposite direction, facing the web cam.

I went to the Water Wagon where a lot of people get water for their houses. Some people put the water in big tanks that they keep in the back of their trucks. We fill five gallon jugs and keep them on the sink. Under the sink is a five gallon bucket to catch the waste water. I just did the dishes and I had to heat the water on the stove to make the soapy wash water. I noticed that the waste water bucket was close to full so I had to take it out to the woods and empty it.



We went to see a show called African Footprints. The group is an African Dance show that is starting their US tour here in Alaska. They flew up on the same plane as I did. I sat next to one of the guys and spoke with him on the way up to Fairbanks. He told me that they had to travel three days to get there. I can't imagine what it would be like to come from a place like Africa to Alaska where it is 40 below zero... They are on their way to New Jersey now...

No comments: